A plug valve is a quarter turn valve that has a conical or cylindrical plug that is rotated within the valve body to stop flow when needed. Plug valves function similar to a ball valve where the plug has an opening in the plug that allows fluid to flow through the valve when it is open.
Plug valves are available in one of four different configurations:
Short Pattern - This valve matches the face to face dimensions of a flanged gate valve when the nominal pipe size is between 1-1/2" and 12". It is available in ANSI 150 & ANSI 300.
Regular Pattern - This configuration has a plug port area that is greater than the venturi pattern.
Venturi Pattern - This configuration is used when pressure drop across the valve needs to be minimized. This type of valve can be referred to as a "reduced port" valve.
Round Port Full Bore Pattern - This configuration has a circular port through the plug and body that nearly eliminates the pressure drop through the valve.
Plug valves can be used as a double block and bleed valve by installing a bleeder on the body of the valve. When the valve is closed, the bleeder dcan be opened to ensure there is zero flow through the valve.
Plug Valve Types
Regular Pattern Plug Valve
Round Port Plug Valve
Short Pattern Plug Valve
Venturi Pattern Plug Valve
Plug Valve Standards
- API Spec 6A - Specification for Wellhead and Christmas Tree Equipment
- API Spec 6D - Specification for Pipeline Valves, End Closures, Connectors and Swivels
- API Std 599 - Metal Plug Valves - Flanged, Threaded and Welded Ends
- ASME B16.5 - Pipe Flanges and Flanged Fittings: NPS 1/2 through 24
- ASME B16.10 - Face to Face and End to End Dimensions of Valves
- ASME B16.34 - Valves Flanged, Threaded and Welding End
- BS 2080 - Specification for face-to-face, centre-to-face, end-to-end and centre-to-end dimensions of valves
- BS 5158 - Specification for cast iron plug valves
- BS 5353 - Specification for steel plug valves
- MSS SP-61 - Hydrostatic Testing of Steel Valves
- MSS SP-78 - Cast Iron Plug Valves
- MSS SP-84 - Steel Valves - Socket Welding & Threaded Ends
Plug Valve Datasheets
Plug valve Related Articles